Valletta was alive to the sound of music and musketry this morning as it celebrated the anniversary of its founding - just days before work starts on a project that will radically change its entrance.
Grand Master Jean de Valette laid the foundation stone of the city which bears his name on March 28,1566 at what became Our lady of Victories church, recalling the victory over the Turks in the Great Siege a few months previously.
Flowers were laid at the spot this morning by a delegation led by the Mayor of Valletta.
The festivities started with a march down part of Republic Street and up Merchants' Street by the Wallace Pipes and Drums.
Several stands related to history and handicrafts were put up in Great Siege Square and St George's Square.
A colourful historical re-enactment of a parade of the time of the knights - In Guardia - was staged at St George's Square.
Mass was held at Our Lady of Victories Church after the laying of flowers.